The Municipal Museum of Modern Art of Ascona, located in a beautiful late 16th century building overlooking Via Borgo, in the heart of Ascona, houses the Municipal Collection and is home to two foundations: the Marianne Werefkin Foundation and the Richard and Uli Seewald Foundation.
The Collection of the Municipality originated in 1922, when many of the artists who had come to Ascona decided to donate one of their works, with the aim of creating the Municipal Museum of Ascona. Among the most important works are Alexej Jawlensky's Head of a Girl, Cuno Amiet's Fruit Picking and Paul Klee's The Red House, offered by the Russian painter Marianne Werefkin together with five of her works.
The collection was progressively enriched in the following years. Well represented is the Ursa Major group (Der Grosse Bär), formed in 1924 by Werefkin herself, the Germans Walter Helbig and Otto Niemeyer-Holstein, the Swiss Albert Kohler and Ernst Frick, the Dutch Otto van Rees and the American Gordon Mallet McCouch. Of particular note are the plaster works of Marcel Janco, the paintings of Arthur Segal (fresco painter of the lunettes at the cemetery of Ascona), the abstract oil paintings of César Domela, and the watercolors of Hermann Hesse.